Employee Engagement: What Managers Should Focus On

Posted by April Parks, M.S. Conflict Management

Sep 17, 2014 11:00:49 AM

defining_talentmanagement_bestpracticesDid you know that 75% of people who are voluntarily leaving their jobs aren't quitting their jobs, they are quitting their bosses? And that 90% of leaders say that having an engagement strategy is critical to business success and only 25% of those actually have a strategy? I would say that the 75% of people leaving their bosses is an effect of only 25% of supervisors having an engagement strategy. The positive outcomes correlated to higher employee engagement are well worth the investment from leadership and management in companies everywhere. The best way to prepare the future is to invest in the present: your employees. 

Here are five ways in which you can boost employee engagement and morale while also increasing productivity and seeing lasting business results.

First, make sure the expectations are clear from the start. When employees don't understand what they're role is in the company or what tasks are on their plate, you'll run into problems straight away. It's best to ensure that employees and team members understand their position and how it contributes to the end goal. Through communication, collaboration, and discussion among management and colleagues, this can be easily achieved.

Next, share feedback. This is for employers and employees. Hearing feedback from a supervisor is always useful, listening to colleagues' feedback is also helpful. When feedback is given in a timely manner and is used in a constructive way, feedback will enable employees to contribute their best efforts in the most efficient way.

Receiving recognition is also important and goes hand in hand with sharing. When a workplace is characterized by positive reinforcement and recognition among employees, it leads to a higher success rate! Companies that focus on having highly engaged employees see 2.5 times more revenue than their competitors! When you use praise, recognition, and show appreciation to your employees, your company will likely see an increase in revenue too. For something so simple as recognition to achieve such great business feats, it seems silly not to invest some time in recognition.

Finally, it also increases engagement levels if the workplace is an encouraging environment. People have an impact on each other and so it only makes sense that an encouraging attitude in the workplace would have a domino effect throughout the organization. Morale is strengthened when peers encourage one another. It creates a feeling of being united and that each and every employee fits with their team and with the company.

Investing in employee engagement is a no brainer. When 87% of employees that are highly engaged are less likely to leave the company, it won't take a genius to figure out how important it is to integrate the previous suggestions into your way of managing. Being a leader requires you to show employees how to be encouraging and how to offer feedback and recognition. Lead by positive example and your employees will thank you for it through their time and commitment long term.

Check out other related blogs:

Performance Management

Topics: Employee Engagement